Get to know the European wasp around camping & picnic sites!
European wasps are attracted to meat, fruit, sugary foods and drinks. European wasp (eWasp®) nests will mainly be found in a hole in the ground around river banks or creek lines. eWasps® look for protein in the form of meat and also look for sugars (carbohydrates) in soft drinks.
Do not disturb or play around European wasp nests!
Stay clear and report all European wasp nests to the European Wasp Hotline
“eWasp® emit an “alarm pheromone” when their nest is disturbed
summoning the rest of the colony!”
PRECAUTIONS AGAINST THE EUROPEAN WASP
- Cover all food during BBQs or picnics.
- Clean all dishes and barbecue plates after eating and immediately put rubbish bags in secured bins or vehicles.
- Place all left over food in sealed containers.
- Do not leave fruit lying around, make sure they are in sealed bags/containers.
- Rubbish and left over food will attract wildlife and eWasp®.
- Do not hang rubbish bags from trees or tent poles.
- Keep fish and bait in sealed containers and/or in your vehicle.
- Make sure your tent is closed/zipped up to ensure no eWasps® fly in looking for food.
- Do not leave soft drinks, beer or wine open and unattended. Ensure all lids are on bottles and use a straw to drink from soft drink cans. eWasp® are known to crawl into soft drink cans, and without knowing it, can sting you in the mouth and throat when taking a sip/drink.
- Use a cold pack to reduce swelling and pain.
- Use pain-relieving medication and creams.
- If there is evidence of a more severe reaction or the sting victim is known to be allergic to wasp and bee venom, medical attention should be sought immediately.
- Warn other visitor’s/campers of the eWasp® in the area.
- Be eWasp® aware no matter where you camp.
Please report European wasp nests to eWasp® on the European Wasp Hotline
Hotline Contact: 02 6258 5551, eWasp Mobile App or email email@example.com